Guthrie County Historical Village

Guthrie County Country Schools:† Then & Now

With all of the country schools that still stand in Guthrie County, sometimes it's hard to remember where it originally sat, where it was moved, what it looked like when in use, or what it looks like now. This page provides pictures (when available) of the country schools still standing. On the left is a picture of the school "then" - when it was in use. On the right, you'll find "now" - the most recent picture we have of the school. Locations of then and now are also provided since many of these schools were moved from their original location.

Baker

Bear Grove

Beaver

Cass

Grant

Highland

Jackson

Orange

lated Links

Seeley

Union

Valley

Staff

Baker Township

Baker #2

Baker #3

Baker #5

Bear Grove Township

Bear Grove #1

Baker #6

Baker #6: Closed early 1950s. Also known as Maplewood School. After closing, the school was used for Sunday school classes for a local Baptist group. Later, used to house chickens. [More Information]

Location Then: NW corner Sec 24, Baker Twp.

Location Now: Same location. Owned by Bailey Association.

Baker #8

Baker #8: Closed approximately 1953.

Location Then: SW corner Sec 27, Baker Twp.

Location Now: Same location. Owned by Roland Betts.

Bear Grove #1: Closed 1956.

Location Then: SW corner Sec 1, Bear Grove Twp.

Location Now: Moved to NW corner Sec 35, former farm of William Lengel, 1478 270th St., Adair, Iowa. Used as a workshop.

Bear Grove #2

Bear Grove #2: Closed 1956.

Location Then: SW corner Sec 3, Bear Grove Twp.

Location Now: Moved to Sec 10, farm of Kirby Laughery, 1328 Highway 44, Guthrie Center, Iowa. Previously used as a house, and then a storage shed.

Bear Grove #4

Bear Grove #4: Closed 1956.

Location Then: SW corner of Sec 17.

Location Now: Same location. Previously used as a voting precinct.

Bear Grove #7

Bear Grove #7: Closed 1950s.

Location Then: Originally SW corner of Sec 25, Bear Grove Twp.

Location Now: Moved to Sec. 26, originally Carroll Benton's farm. Farm now owned by Roger Benton at 2667 Victory Road, Adair, Iowa. Currently used for a workshop. Was previously used as a small house.

Bear Grove #8

Bear Grove #8: Closed 1950s. Also known as Bethel School.

Location Then: SW corner of Sec. 27, Bear Grove Twp.

Location Now: Moved by Veryl Jensen to a farm in Sec. 18 of Bear Grove Twp. (original site of Bear Grove). Used for storage.

Beaver Township

Beaver Independent

Beaver Independent: Believed to be the schoolhouse from 1858.

Location Then: SE Sec 34, Beaver Twp. Abandoned as a school and replaced by Beaver Independent (#9), which burned down several years ago in mid-west Sec 34 by 1900.

Location Now: Same location. Currently used as a storage shed with addition used as a garage. Building owned by Dennis Hoover. [More Information]

GUTHRIE COUNTY HISTORICAL VILLAGE